Our lawyers have the skills necessary to brief, argue, and win appeals. We have litigated criminal and civil appeals in both federal and state appellate courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court. Our lawyers are also regularly appointed by courts to handle criminal appeals; one of our lawyers previously spent over five years litigating cutting-edge First Amendment cases for a national civil-rights organization. And because we also try cases, we can better identify and develop appellate issues before it’s too late.
Among the cases handled by our lawyers:
- Argued and won successive appeals in Second Circuit on behalf of former CEO of a large retail chain challenging restitution awards
- Won Federal Circuit appeal in licensing dispute in which opposing party attempted to manufacture federal jurisdiction
- Overturned a 22-year drug sentence on appeal.
- Represented multiple criminal defendants in direct appeals in federal and local courts.*
- Represented the plaintiffs in a major government prayer case before U.S. Supreme Court.*
- Prepared over two dozen briefs in US Supreme Court, including in cases involving criminal procedure, capital punishment, antitrust, the False Claims Act, the Export Clause, habeas corpus, patents, copyright, civil procedure, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and reproductive rights.*
- Represented University of Notre Dame student as an intervenor opposing the university’s challenge to the Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive-coverage regulations in the Seventh Circuit and Supreme Court.*
- Represented death-row inmate in direct appeal in Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals.*
*Matters handled by partners before joining Clinton Brook