We represent clients facing a broad range of criminal matters, in both state and federal courts. We have helped clients under government investigation, defended clients at trial, and represented them on appeal and in collateral challenges to convictions and sentences. Two of our lawyers also regularly receive court appointments to represent low-income clients in trial and appellate proceedings in the District of Columbia.
Among cases handled by our lawyers:
Investigations and Trials
Successfully defended Somali national in federal court against prosecution for piracy on the high seas. After a three-week jury trial, we won an acquittal on some charges and then convinced the government to dismiss the remaining charges.
- Obtained below-guidelines sentence on behalf of individual accused of multiple counts of computer crime.
- Appointed by federal court to represent Libyan national charged in connection with 2012 Benghazi attacks
- Represented a major financial institution in criminal and SEC investigations arising out of an accounting fraud in its subsidiary.*
- Represented an auto parts supplier in a federal criminal antitrust investigation.*
- Represented a major international law firm in connection with government investigations and multiple investor actions stemming from a $2.4 billion financial services fraud in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.*
Appeals and Postconviction Proceedings
- Argued and won successive appeals in Second Circuit on behalf of former CEO of a large retail chain challenging restitution awards.
- Overturned a 22-year drug sentence. On remand, the trial judge resentenced the client to 65 months, significantly below the guidelines, after praising our sentencing brief.
- Vacated a 20-year sentence through a federal collateral challenge; client was resentenced to 30 months.
- Vacated a conviction for Leaving After Colliding in the first case challenging the meaning of the DC statute since a recent amendment.
- Represent defendant convicted of serious felony in federal post-conviction challenge in federal court in Virginia.
- Regularly represent defendants in direct and postconviction appeals to the D.C. Court of Appeals.
- Represented criminal defendant in appeal of conviction and death sentence in Alabama.*
- Prepared multiple Supreme Court amicus briefs, at both certiorari and merits stage, on behalf of leading national criminal defense organization.*
*Matters handled by partners before joining Clinton Brook