(202) 621-1828 (phone)
(202) 204-6320 (fax)
David Chung litigates before the District of Columbia’s Alcohol Beverage Regulation Administration (ABRA). He has won 72-hour emergency closure cases against the government, routinely advises operators on regulatory compliance, and has successfully drafted and filed security plans and settlement agreements with ABRA. Because David has also owned and operated five ABRA-licensed venues over the past 17 years, he understands how the realities of the industry fit within ABRA's legal framework. David’s experience as an operator and lawyer uniquely enables him to advise and represent clients before ABRA.
David began his career at Baker & Hostetler, where he represented Fortune 50 companies. Former cilents include Major League Baseball, the Aluminum Association, Southwest Airlines, and AIG.
David is also a longtime advocate for the Asian-American community. He was selected by three consecutive mayors (Mayors Williams, Fenty, and Gray) to serve as a Commissioner and Chairman of the D.C. Mayor’s Office on Asian and Pacific Islander. In that position, he advised the Mayor on government policies and programs, served as a liaison between government and private organizations, promoted public awareness of government programs, and delivered annual reports to each Mayor.
- Successfully represented Gebrtri Inc. in 72-hour emergency closure case against the D.C. government.
- Provides ongoing advice to local music venue U Street Musical Hall, including advice about ABRA compliance.
- Successfully defended nightclubs in connection with show-cause hearings relating to stabbings on premises.
- Successfully represented businesses in disputes with Advisory Neighborhood Coalitions.
- Helped clients obtain, acquire, and transfer liquor licenses.
Becoming an Entrepreneur: A Guide for Lawyers, D.C. Bar (June 2011)
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
Journal of Social Policy and the Law, Business Manager;
Law School Alumni Council, Youngest alumnus and first Asian-American alumnus ever appointed
Virginia Commonwealth University, B.A. in Political Science
summa cum laude
District of Columbia
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia